UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
APPLICANTS WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY APPLIED FOR THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT REF.NO. UNSOM/COS/005/2016 NEED NOT RE-APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 01 MARCH 2017
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 02 FEBRUARY 2017
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: TEAM ASSISTANT
SECTION: OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF STAFF
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: UNSOM/COS/002/2017
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the UNSOM Office of the Chief of Staff (COS). The incumbent reports to the Special Assistant to the COS and will work closely with the two Administrative Assistants in the Office of the COS (OCOS).
Within delegated authority, the Team Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions for the OCOS and other Front Offices as directed.
- Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Monitors processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Screens phone calls and visitors; responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, conferences, official functions, travel arrangements etc.
- Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software/applications including word, excel, etc.
- Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Assist in maintaining an effective filing system for easy reference and retrieval when required.
- Performs data entry and extraction functions and maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit. Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handles arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. travel requests, Movement of Personnel (MOP), Special Flight Requests (SFR), contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Assist in protocol related services including access to the airport in informing airport authorities in a timely manner and obtain the necessary passes for official designated staff and vehicles;
- Assists in providing software and office equipment support.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the COS, the Special Assistant to the COS or the Administrative Assistants in the OCOS.
Professionalism – Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Minimum of one (01) year experience in general office support or related area is required.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
Other: Knowledge of Microsoft office (word, excel, power point, etc.) is required.
Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 01 March 2017 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the email
Kindly attach a copy of P11, High School Diploma Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).