UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 28 MAY 2018
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 29 APRIL 2018
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
SECTIONS UNIT: RULE OF LAW AND SECURITY INSTITUTIONS GROUP/ SECURITY SECTOR REFORM SECTION AND DEFENSE
SECTOR REFORM SECTION
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOM/ROLSIG/022/2018
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in theIntegrated Security Sector Reform (SSR) Section and Defence Sector Reform (DSR) Section of the Rule of Law and Security Institutions Group (ROLSIG) of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) in Mogadishu. The incumbent will report to the Senior Security Sector Reform Adviser and the Senior Military Advisor in UNSOM, and will work closely with the National Security Sector Reform Officer and other staff of the Sections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following:
Human Resources Management
- Performs various actions related to the administration of the work unit, including meetings, VTCs, teleconferences, the facilitation of access for external stakeholders, liaising with all relevant parties, as needed, consistently applying UN rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Liaises with central administration/executive services as required;
- Maintains vacancy announcement files and updates track vacancy announcements;
- Prepares personnel actions through UN’s current electronic tools, e.g., Umoja;
- Advises staff on visa matters;
- Provides information and advice to staff/consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the staff Rules and Regulations;
- Monitors assigned staffing tables for a variety of human resources activities, e.g., appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignments, transfer and movement of staff.
- Assists with organization and coordination of seminars, workshops, conferences, providing all needed administrative and logistical support, including to activities of the Federal Government of Somalia and Federal Member States’ stakeholders that are supported by the Sections within their mandates;
Budget and Finance
- Provide assistance in the preparation and development of the office’s work programme and budget;
- Assists in monitoring the budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grant and other funds on a regular basis, and records reallocation of resource and implements the reallocations as necessary;
- Provides assistance in the review, and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions;
- May assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and records reallocation of funds as necessary;
- Reviews requisition for goods and services to confirm (a)that correct objects code of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds;
- Monitors extra-budgetary resources, in line with agreements and cost plans with special attention given to regulations and rules established policies and procedures;
- Assists in the preparation of budget performance submission;
- Assist in finalization of budget performance reports with attention given to variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinates regularly with service units and liaises as needed with internal team members both at the mission and in outstations and works with service units including Finance, Human Resources, CITS, Transport and other units;
- Drafts routine correspondence;
- Acts as communication link between the Sections and the host country when required;
- Assists in the maintenance of up-to-date work files of Sections;
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g. travel, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, reviews physical space plans and assist in the identification of office technology needs, maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organizes and coordinates seminars, conferences and translations);
- Performs any other related administrative duties as required;
- Professionalism:Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary and uses time efficiently.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required. Technical training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area. Solid computer skills including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets is required. Specific knowledge of the UN administrative electronic tools, such as Umoja or ERP is desirable. Must be familiar with function-related provision of United Nations Rules, Regulations, Manuals and policies. Experience working at a UN field mission or UN Agencies in this capacity is desirable.
Languages: English and French are working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English and Somali is required. Knowledge of other United Nations language is desirable.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Candidates who are not selected, but whose performance in the interview process nevertheless demonstrated them to be suitable for a similar function may be kept on a roster for up to seven years. Candidates placed on the roster may be considered for selection against future vacancies for the same function and level.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs.Applications submitted after the deadline 28 May 2018 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail
Kindly attach a copy of P11, Degree Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. Copy of Valid driving license/ permit. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).