UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 29 DECEMBER 2020
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 30 NOVEMBER 2020
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT
LEVEL : GL-5
SECTION : PROCUREMENT SECTION
LOCATION : MOGADISHU
DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE(1) YEAR FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/PROC/026/2020
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the Procurement Sectionof the United Nations Support Officein Somalia (UNSOS), in Mogadishu. The Procurement Assistant at this level reports to the Procurement Officer and is under the overall management of the Chief of Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Procurement Assistantwill be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides procurement, logistical and administrative support to a team of Procurement Officers in the acquisition of a wide variety of goods and services.
- Reviews, records and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required.
- Identifies and recommends sources of procurement; and interviews potential suppliers and assists in the vendor registration in the United Nations Global Marketplace (UNGM)
- Produces tender documents (e.g. invitations to Bids, Request for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compiles data contained in quotations, bids or proposals to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality delivery time, prompt payment and other discounts transportation costs and other factors.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Procurement Officer.
- Finalizes purchase orders and contracts for approval by the Procurement Officer, may authorize purchases in line with delegated signature authority and if required prepare submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts etc. and informs affected users of contractual rights and obligations.
- Researchers, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity etc. as well as obtains specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
- Assists in the general administrative operations of the Section.
- Drafts a variety of correspondences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of supply operations, practices and contract management. Ability to specify business rules in the specific supply area. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required. A certificate of Procurement or Contracts Management training is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of five of (05) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, administrative services or related area.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History Profile (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 29 December 2020will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Kindly attach copies of relevant academiccertificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEWMEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).