UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 08 AUGUST 2020
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 09 JULY 2020
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT
SECTION: FIELD TECHNOLOGY SECTION
DURATION OF CONTRACT: FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: UNSOS/FTS/013/2020
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
- Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in Filed Technology Section (FTS), in Mogadishu Somalia. The Telecommunication Assistant reports to the Team Leader of Service Management Unit of Field Technology Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Telecommunications Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Analyses and reviews requests for telephone services; advises UN officials and or facilities staff, e.g., architects, electricians, movers) in preparing requests for services to ensure they are cost-effective and physically feasible.
- Formulates technical service orders and follows up on pending work orders, requisitions, trouble reports, etc., to ensure work is completed in a timely fashion.
- Decides on type of equipment/services needed.
- Maintains liaison with outside contractor telecommunications representatives about any change, correction or discrepancy on the above and other technical information on procedures; oversees installations, monitors quality and quantity of work performed by contractors and compiles and prepares statistics on same.
- Drafts and prepares blueprints showing equipment locations for telephone technicians and facilities management staff.
- Assists in the design and development of work order databases and maintains the databases using advanced computer technology.
- Assists in meetings’ preparation by preparing and configuring conference hardware and operates equipment during conferences.
- Provides support and training for new users of conference systems.
- Researches and evaluates new conference products ensuring compatibility with current operational standards and growth for future needs.
- Ensures that clear and accurate records of all telephone accounts, documentation and invoices are maintained.
- Follows up on outstanding payments and recovery of charges.
- Maintains electronic records of all expenditures for commercial communications of the Mission and provides CITS budget officer with this information on a regular basis.
- Maintains a comprehensive filing system of invoices, statements and correspondence for all telephone systems, including issues and return vouchers for mobile and satellite SIM cards.
- Ensures that all telephone billing documents are scanned and electronically stored before being archived.
- Performs other related duties as required
Ability to analyse the tactical elements of vehicular support to clients Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Knowledge of Telephone billing services is required.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Additional technical or vocational training in telecommunications or other related field is required
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in telecommunications or related area.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive
assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 08 August 2020 not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Kindly attach copy of PHP, all relevant academic certificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).