UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
08 AUGUST 2020
DATE OF ISSUANCE
09 JULY 2020
INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT
DURATION OF CONTRACT
ONE (01) YEAR FIXED-TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in Field Technology Section (FTS) in Mogadishu, Somalia, under the supervision of FTS Service Management Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works as part of a team in the troubleshooting, and support of computer application systemsusing UN established standards for ICT technologies.
- Assists with the monitoring and expedition of computer and communication systems development projects; serves as part of the team related to various project implementations in the mission.
- Maintains and troubleshoots Network components.
- Maintains functional specifications for computer and communication systems, programs and procedures; assists in ongoing reviews with users and developers; liaise with users to define and specify requirements; assists with version management, data recovery and deployment to users’ offices.
- Implements and maintains security controls for various applications; ensures that security controls in place are monitored and enforced; assists with the maintenance of accurate access control lists including rights and privileges.
- Provides input for the preparation of various technical and user documentation for deployed computer application systems, training materials and may conduct technical presentations; assists with the drafting of correspondence and communications, including work plan revisions, as well as unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field; implements benchmarking procedures and provides input for final decisions on new acquisitions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism:Ability to analyse the tactical elements of vehicular support to clientsShows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.Knowledge of infrastructure cabling including installation and maintenance of fibre optic, Coaxial and Network Cables is required.
Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological awareness:Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in information systems analysis,database installation and management and website development, systems administration and maintenance, software applications, hardware installation and related work.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position mayinclude a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History Profile (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 08 August 2020 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).