UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 25 SEPTEMBER 2020
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 26 AUGUST 2020
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : MOVEMENT CONTROL ASSISTANT
LEVEL : GL-5
SECTION : MOVEMENT CONTROL SECTION
LOCATION : MOGADISHU
DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE (01) YEAR FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/MOVCON/011/2020
This position is funded for a period of one year. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organization Setting and Reporting:
The position is located within the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) based in Mogadishu. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Movement Control Section in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Within delegated authority, the Movement Control Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Receives and registers cargo movement requests for air/ ground transportation.
- Receives supplies from different sections, arranges for transportation and follow-ups from delivery to destination.
- Coordinates transportation of cargo by air and / or road with Air Operations and Transport Section respectively.
- Ensures proper and safe storage of inbound and outbound cargo.
- Ensures proper packing and marking of cargo items, including dangerous goods.
- Informs appropriate consignees on delivery of items.
- Provides technical advice and guidance to personnel involved in cargo movements.
- Compiles and maintains cargo statistics related to air/ground movements.
- Coordinates work of outsources loaders at the airport.
- Prepares cargo manifest and ensures it distribution to all concerned parties.
- Facilitates embarking/ disembarking of passengers at the airport and loading / unloading of cargo.
- Ensures that loading of the aircraft is conducted in accordance to the published daily schedule and cargo manifest.
- Checks- in passengers against passenger manifest, issues boarding passes and organizes passengers transfer for aircraft boarding.
- Performs pre-boarding briefing for passengers and monitors the safety briefing performed by the aircrew.
- Facilitates immigration and customs formalities for passengers.
- Ensures that passengers’ baggage is weighted, measures, labeled, manifested and loaded into the aircraft.
- Ensures the General Release from Liability form (waiver) for non-UN passengers is in place and retained before boarding.
- Reports time of take-off and landing of UN aircraft to Air Operations Center.
- Receives the Aviation Risk Management check list from aircrews and informs Air Operations center of safety concerns if any.
- Ensures established procedures are in place and aviation safety regulations are followed.
- Provide assistance to VIP passengers, if required.
- Carries out duties in Passenger Booking Cee, if required.
- Performs the flight monitor duties or other duties as and when required.
- Performs the flight monitor duties or other duties as and when required..
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject manner; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing other’s ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places teamagenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shared credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of views; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships and clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients ‘needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keep clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Additional technical/vocational qualifications in logistics, transportation or management is required. Valid national driving license is required. Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets and database.
Experience: A minimum offour(4) years of progressively responsible experience in movement operations acquired through commercial air/sea/road/ rail operations, commercial freight forwarding, or military logistics.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Somali language is desirable.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 25 September 2020 not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Kindly attach copy of PHP, all relevant academic certificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).